How to Treat Bites & Stings

OLD SITE NOT NEW? An insect sting from a bee or a wasp can be painful but is not usually dangerous. An initial sharp pain is followed by mild swelling, redness and soreness. Certain types or multiple insect stings can produce a serious reaction. A sting in the mouth can be potentially dangerous because swelling can obstruct the airway. It is important to watch for signs of allergic reaction, which can lead to anaphylactic shock, with any insect bite or sting.

What to look for

  • Pain at the site of the sting
  • Redness and swelling around the site of the sting

What to do

Follow the steps below:

Step 1

Reassure the casualty

Step 2

If the sting is visible, brush or scrape it off sideways with the edge of a credit card or your finger nail. Do not use tweezers as you may squeeze the sting and inject more poison into the casualty.

Step 3

Raise the affected part and apply a cold compress to minimise swelling. Advise the casualty to keep the compress in place for at least 10 mins. Tell them to seek medical advice if the pain and swelling persist.

Step 4

Monitor breathing and level of response and watch for sign so of an allergic reaction such as wheezing and/or reddened, swollen, itchy skin.

Looking for other ways to get involved?

Whatever you enjoy doing and however much time you can commit, there’s a volunteer role for you.

Donate Volunteer