Homes on a new development in Cefn Cribwr are to be named ‘Clos Sant Ioan’ meaning ‘Saint John’s Close’ in English recognising its heritage as a St John Ambulance Cymru hall.
Located on the junction of Cefn Road and Bedford Close, the Valleys to Coast site’s name was selected after it was suggested by people in the community and has proven popular with local residents.
The Division, which is now known as St John Ambulance Cymru Pencoed/Bridgend, was known throughout the community as a hub of activity when it opened in 1938. It was the home of first aid training, dances and concerts, and served as a canteen for the local primary school during World War II.
“We wanted to bring a sense of community back to the site, supporting our vision of helping to regenerate Bridgend and breathe life back into an area of Cefn Cribwr that has been vacant for years.”
Valleys to Coast spokesperson
“Our volunteers are the lifeblood of our charity and do exceptional work within their communities; we’re honoured that one of our divisions will be recognised as part of the development.
Our vision is for people to get the first aid they need, anytime, anywhere, something we’ve upheld since we were established as the first ambulance service in Wales in 1918.
The care and passion we have for helping people in our communities continues today as we work towards our vision of first aid for everyone, anytime, anywhere.
Thank you to everyone in Cefn Cribwr for choosing to honour the hard work and dedication of our incredible volunteers as part of this new chapter and lasting legacy within the community.”
St John Ambulance Cymru, Chief Executive Officer, Helen Smith
More information about the development can be found here.